Saturday, August 7, 2010

Little SALT in my wounds

I had the rare pleasure of putting the kids down early, and sneak away with my husband to go watch a movie last night.  Watching a new release, actually sitting in a theater, is a lost art and truly a rare treat in PK (Post Kids) era so I was thrilled.

Someone told me that I must go see SALT, so without a clue as to what it was about, we rushed to get the ticket, and got seated with anticipation.  Honestly, I couldn't care less what I was about to see, just to get out of the house without kids gave me enough thrill to watch just about anything. I was NOT prepared for the experience I was about to have for the next 90 mins.

The first scene opened with the female protagonist being tortured by the brute militia while being tied down wearing nothing but what seems to be her undergarments. I'm not going to ruin the movie by retelling too much of the plot, but this was a 90 min-roller coaster ride of mixed emotion.  Angelina Jolie did what she did best- beat the crap out of every character that got in her way while remaining mysterious and sexy in every way.  Basically, the movie was a Bourne Identity- the Jolie version.  

But what about this movie was so disturbing to me?  About a year ago, I watched Bourne Identity at home after a long day of chasing around kids.  The movie gave me such a satisfying escape, I didn't even mind the fatigue or sleep deprivation the next day.  Matt Damon was great.  The scenes from all the different European cities were great.  It was the perfect escape.

SALT, was similar, but different.  In a way, watching this anime-esque figure beating up guys 3 times her size was exciting and empowering.  But, she also got beat up and tortured pretty badly in the process.  I didn't think twice when I saw Matt Damon get beat up on the screen.  But watching a woman get beat up took violence to a whole another level.  Double standard?  Absolutely.

In addition to female violence, there's the issue of children being manipulated and brain washed.   Watching the poor orphans being lied and manipulated to made me feel ill.  I knew that this movie is completely fictional, but I still left the theater feeling exhausted and strangely wounded.

We came home after midnight, but I was too wired to go to sleep.  Why did this movie disturb me so much?  Unlike Bourne Identity, this movie gave me no pleasure of "escaping".  Was it because I'm not a true feminist?  Did I change because I have children of my own?  Couldn't really tell why, but I just felt wounded.

I googled the movie that night to read the review.  That's when I came across the fact that Angelina Jolie filmed this movie only 18 months after she gave birth to her twins.  Crazy nuts!  Jolie was stick thin!!  If she had a postpartum weight issue, you couldn't tell.  She did most of her own stunts and rarely used a double. Not only did she just have twins, she also has 3, no excuse me, 4 older kids!  How does she manage to mother that many children, and still manage to be stick thin for this movie? 

That did it.  That was little too much SALT in my wounds...

Did anyone else see the movie?  Let me know what you thought!!

5 comments:

  1. Grace, 전 토이스토리 3을 봐갖고, 나눌얘기가 없네요^^
    근데 이 영화처럼 보구나서 힘들진 않아요. 뒤끝이 깔끔해요. 단순하니까요~:)그리고, 안젤리나 졸리는 6명의 애들을 직접 키우진 않을거에요. 많은 도우미가 있지 않을가요?
    이상의 말들을 영어로 표현하기 힘들어서, 파격적으로 한글을 시도했어요. 더 많은 글들을 기대해요~

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Yon- HAHA, Hi Yon. Connor went to go see Toy Story 3 and came back mesmerized!! You are keeping up my Korean and I love the fact that we can keep in touch across the world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Movies are definitely personal for us. Since marriage, my husband can't stand movies that "glamorize" infidelity. He is appalled that one of my favorite movies is Casablanca. "So Ingrid Bergman is really in love with Humphrey Bogart...even though she's married to someone else???!!!" Don't even get him started on The English Patient, Bridges of Madison County, Unfaithful and list goes on and on.

    For me, ever since I became a mom, I can no longer watch movies about missing, kidnapping of, molestation of children. I can't no longer stomach it. Why should I pay good money and waste my precious time to feel THAT horrible?

    But I have no qualms about watching Angelina Jolie kick a$$ or Heidi Klum strut the Victoria Secrets catwalk 6 weeks after giving birth to her third child. Sexy, accomplished and loving mothers. LOVE THEM, LOVE THEM, LOVE THEM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally agree that I can't tolerate any scenes that exhibits violence towards children. I nearly had a PTSD after reading the Kite Runner, and couldn't get myself to see the movie... although I think it's a great story, and great writing.

    The question remains- how do you feel about watching other women getting beat up on the screen? I can't remember if this always bothered me, but for some reason, it really disturbs me now. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm looking forward to seeing this. But you are right, ever since becoming a mom, I am so sentimental at movies, even stuff like "Toy Story 3" & "Ramona & Beezus" leave me in tears. How embarrassing!

    ReplyDelete