Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Cake Anyone?

Yesterday morning, my husband dropped us off at my son’s preschool friend's birthday party. My toddler son was very excited, and couldn't wait to open the door and say "happy birthday, can I have cake?". A birthday party for a 2 year old is really, all about the cake. I went inside with both kids to join a room full of 2 yr olds singing "O Macdonald Had A Farm." My son dropped my hand, and dashed to the kitchen to see if he can get a glimpse of the cake. We sang a few more silly songs, then headed out to the backyard, where kids can have lunch, make lots of mess, and of course, eat the cake. I strapped my infant on the baby carrier on my back, and took my son outside. He did great eating his pizza, sucking out every drop of juice out of his SunKist, and I managed to mingle with other parents. During events like these, I always feel a little bit more conscience about how my child behaves because after all, he is a reflection of my parenting, no? I want to make sure he shares, he doesn't bother anyone, and he would be obedient. One of the moms came over and asked me how I potty trained my son. As luck would have it, he is one of the first child to be potty trained in his class of 6 two year olds (and he wasn't even trained that early!). I talked about the Potty Training in One Day method, and talked about being surprised with how well my son’s been doing w/o diapers.

Then I saw from the corner of my eyes, twisting his legs like he has to go to the bathroom. You see how the story is going. But wait, it's much worse. I grabbed my son quickly, and headed into the house. He whined "No, no, I'm not ready yet". Well, Mr. Not-Ready-Yet, had a little bit of an accident already, and I was mortified to see a brown spot on his underwear. I scolded him, stripped him away from his soiled underwear, and made him sit on the potty to finish his business. My baby started to fidget and whimper on my back. I quickly considered my options. Do I let my son go commando or do I dress him in a pink Dora pull-up pants complement of the host family? I decided against the Dora pull up pants because I was not about to put my child in a pull-up, not even 5 mins after my speech to other moms about how I successfully potty trained my child. I wiped my child’s behind, and flushed the toilet. I flushed once, then twice. Then the water kept on rising and rising, and my son started screaming "Mama, I wet". Then the water started pouring out of the toilet. I couldn't believe it. Much to my horror, the water didn't simply "leak" ... it started to shoot our with such gusto, it almost looked like a fire hydrant. The Hoover Dam was demolished and Niagara Fall was over flooded. I quickly lifted my son and placed him inside the bath tub. I tried to reach for the little knob on the bottom of the toilet- no success. No plunger in site. No bucket in site. Water continued to pour out covering the bathroom floor, then out to the hall way. My son’s pants actually started to float down towards the door. Pieces of his poop started to float down towards the hallway. I just stood there dumbfounded, unable to think, or move in my son's poop water. My toddler started to scream and my infant started to cry. That's when I heard people singing "Happy Birthday" outside.

Then my toddler wailed " I want cake!!! Waaaaaa!!"

Portable plunger anyone? I'll be sure to pack one in my diaper bag next time. Oh, did my son get to eat his cake? He sure did eat a huge slice of cake sitting next to his friends, wearing nothing but his t-shirt and a pink Dora pull up pants.

1 comment:

  1. Grace, I am wondering, do these kind of things happen to every mom or do fun things happen only to you? I laughed so much when I came to the "portable plunger"...maybe I shouldn't. Sorry but this is so funny. And I can picture Connor eating his cake, with an innocent look.

    ReplyDelete