Saturday, January 3, 2009

People Watching at the Park


These days the highlight of my social outing has been going to this neighborhood concert in the park. It's funny how my social life revolves around parks and playgrounds these days. With arrival of my second child, going to the park even seems like a luxury. Since my poor husband was working late (again!) today, I packed the two kids, changed into something without noticeable stains, and headed out to the park.

While watching my toddler son with one eye, and my infant in the stroller, I couldn't help but to notice the vast number of people and the diverse lives they represent. In the sand pit, there was the leathery tanned guy with his questionably blond bombshell wife, trying to "play" with his daughter without bending down. Next to them, a guy stood in his work clothes, with his blackberry in one hand, telling his son to stop putting sand in his mouth. Then there was the Chinese guy wearing what should be an undershirt and workout pants with the white stripe on the side, saying something in Chinese to his toddler son with the rice bowl haircut. And of course, every park in Silicon Valley has someone wearing a shirt from a high-tech company who seems to be "working from home" while spending oh-so quality time with their kid in the park. I must confess my least favorite are those ex-sorority moms still looking fabulous in their tight fitting clothes, and loud laughs. When, and how do they find the time to get their hair highlighted, and toes pedicured?

And there I was, people watching while sitting at the bench to nurse Sabine who was covered in a hooter-hider (nursing cover). Everything was fine, except, I was so tired and absorbed in the people watching, I didn't even realize that the wind had blown over, and the only thing the hooter-hider was covering was my baby's face!! That's right, I just let my postpartum stomach and the side of my lactating boob hang out, flashing the world.

I'll have to switch parks next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment